Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

wiring an electric cook top & oven

Customer Question
wiring an electric cook top & oven
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/29/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. OK, what's the question?
what size wire & breaker do I need to wire a GE cook top & a GE wall oven?
I need the KW rating off the name plates to calculate the size.
I dont have that info at this time. will get it tomorrow.
No problem, come back when you can.
the kw on the cook top is4.8 & 6.4...the kw on the oven is3.4 & 2.6
With the numbers you gave I need to know the voltage = was it 208/240V.
I don't know... I will let you know tomorrow.
OK, also is this to be a new feeder or are you using something already wired? If so what size is it and is it copper or aluminum?
This is to be a new feeder.
OK, I calculate the size for you at 240V.
Install 6/4 copper NM Cable from a 40A breaker to a junction box for connection of the appliance whips. If the whips are not long enough to reach the same point. Install the 1st box close to the cook top , it having the larger load. Then install a 2nd box for the oven. Uses the same size wire to extend the oven circuit if necessary.