Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

wall plug has three white and three black wires. old plug style…

wall plug has three white...
wall plug has three white and three black wires. old plug style was push in wire type. installing all new plugs in house one rm at a time. plugs I have to replace use screws on side. how do I hook up the three wires of each color to the newer two screws plug? tried to hook 2 white to one screw and then one white to other and same for black but circuit breaker won't come on with this process and after that step I lost use of three plugs and one wall switch that was on same circuit. Any sugestions?
6/28/2010
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Pigtail the wires. Connect the 3 whites and add a pigtail to go to the receptacle. Do the same with the black. Use a wirenut to make this connection. Only 1 wire is allowed on a terminal. You are right to use the screws and not the stabs in the back of the receptacle.
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
sorry, but you confused me with connecting the three wires together and then having one wire pig tailed from the was three wire to one wire. with this step then I would only be using only one of the two screws on the new receptacle for each side. If this process works what about the three plugs and one wall switch that no longer work?
This is the correct way to connect 3 wires to 1 or 2 sets of screws. Of course this process works. If you have other issues other places I don't know about that. Any time you have more than 1 wire per screw you MUST pigtail. The idea is to connect 2 wires together so the power will flow. 2, 3, 4 will all become one when wire nutted together. The pigtail is to connect the device to the wiring. If other locations don't work we'll address them after you do the pigtails. Why would you want to use 2 screws on a receptacle? They have a jumper on the side of the device to connect them together.
Ok, will try this step but I have to shut off power and with that I will lose my internet connection until turn circuit back on.
No problem at all. Take your time. I'll be around later if I'm not when you come back on.

Thank you very much. All plugs are now working with no issues. Really threw me off, looked like someone added a set of wires to this plug. Appreciate the advice and being to use a chat line for this type of question. Have a great day.

I'm glad you got it solved. That's what I'm here for.