Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Ceiling fan wont run, may have wired switch wrong

Customer Question
Ceiling fan won't run, may...
Ceiling fan won't run, may have wired switch wrong
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/28/2010
Electrician: electrifier, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Tell me how the fan is connected to power.
Do you have a cord and plug to connect it?
Connected with a new three wire grounded cord to a working outlet
How did you wire the cord to the fan above the canopy? What color wires were in the fan to connect to?
White black and green from the fan, connected to white black and green wires in the cord, respectively.

The switch has four connectors, L,1,2,3 and are connected as such:
L-black
1-grey
2-brown
3-purple
Why were you dealing with switch wiring? Did you replace the switch?
Yes, the cord in the switch broke and was too short to attach a new pull, so I had to replace the switch
Is one of the wires that you connect to the switch the black one from the top of the fan?
No; black, purple and brown are connected into a wiring harness coming from the motor and the grey wire is connected to the forward/reverse switch

The three wires coming from the top of the fan are connected to the cord wires
What do you know about the old switch and the way it was wired?

Try connecting the black wire to the forward/reverse switch with the 1, 2, 3 wires connected to the motor harness. The motor harness should be the 3 speeds and the forward,reverse should be the power feed. Let me know what happens?
No I don't have the older switch, this has been a long put off effort.

I connected the black wire coming from the motor harness directly to the grey wire going to the forward/reverse switch, bypassing the 3 speed switch. Nothing. Did see sparks in f/r switch when I clicked it back and forth though
Has the old 3 speed switch been removed for quite some time?
Yes, maybe a year. The fan has been unplugged the whole time as well
Your cord wiring is correct. More information is necessary to determine the switch wiring.