Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I just installed a 3/4hp, 230v motor to my pool pump, but when…

I just installed a 3/4hp...
I just installed a 3/4hp, 230v motor to my pool pump, but when I turn the switch on, the motor doesn't run. I checked the circuit and there is power right up to the motor. There are 3 wires connected to the motor, 1 ground and 2 hot wires. Both hot wires are reading about 115v each at the motor connection terminals. I disconnected the motor, took it to the pool store where I bought it, they hooked it up just like I did, and it starts and runs fine. I took it back home, hooked it up, and nothing, it doesn't run. Any ideas?
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/27/2010
Mike, Master Electrician
Hi, can you take a volt reading from hot to hot (instead of hot to ground) and let me know what you get?
volt reading from hot to hot is 0v
How are the wires connected in the panel, EXACTLY? Are you using a space saver breaker by any chance?

Edited by Mike on 6/27/2010 at 11:44 PM EST
Which panel do you mean? The service panel or at the motor? Here's a little more information: This motor is replacing a motor that was installed there. I replaced that motor because it had stopped running and was just making a faint humming sound. So I disconnected that motor, took it to the pool store, and had it tested. They said it had a bad capacitor and bearings, so I bought a rebuilt motor and installed it just like I took the other one out. There were 3 wires, 1 ground and 2 hot wires. I connected the ground to the ground screw (which is labeled) and the hot wires to the only 2 unused terminals (which is the same way the pool store wired it to check it).
I see... allow me to explain where I'm coming from as well and maybe you're understand my questions a little better too. You should have at or near 240V from hot to hot. 0V means they wires are coming from the same phase/leg in the panel. You should be getting at or near 120V from hot to ground, but again, 240V from hot to hot. You said earlier that you had 115V. That's a little low, but fine, But you definitely should not have 0V from hot to hot. This is where the problem is. We just need to figure out why this is happening.

So you only disconnected the pump and installed a new one? You didn't do anything with the breaker or wiring in the service panel? Is this connected to a single-pole or double-pole breaker?

Edited by Mike on 6/28/2010 at 12:02 AM EST
Correct, I disconnected at the pump, I did not do anything at the service panel or anywhere else. I believe it is a double-pole breaker, but I will go check. Just to make sure I checked correctly for the voltage from hot to hot, I would put the positive lead from the voltage tester on one of the hot terminals and the negative lead on the other hot terminal, correct?
Ok great... and yes, you have the test procedure correct.
It is a double-pole 20 amp/pole breaker.
Ok, so what voltage did you get?

I'm not sure what you mean. You asked if it was a double pole or a single pole, and it's a double pole breaker. Did you want me to check the voltage at the breaker? Or are you asking about the voltage between the 2 hot terminals at the motor which was "0"?

Sorry, you are right, I didn't make it clear. Yes, please check voltage at the breaker, and also double check the voltage at the pump. It's only necessary to double check voltage at the pump if you get anything other than 0 at the breaker.

Edited by Mike on 6/28/2010 at 12:40 AM EST
OK, the voltage at the breaker is about 125v from each terminal to ground, and about 12(twelve)v from terminal to terminal. The voltage at the motor from hot to hot is still "0".
What do you have your meter set on?
I had it set on AC V at the 250v range when checking terminal to ground, and then switched to the 50v range after the needle barely moved when checking the terminal to terminal (it has 3 ranges, 50, 250, and 500). It's a little cheap analog meter. I think I have a better digital one, I'll try to find it if the readings need to be more accurate.
That meter should be fine, but you need you have it set on 250V for all tests. Could you please double check things with the meter on the proper setting? For now, a test at the breaker will do.
The readings for terminal to terminal was about 10, the readings for terminal to ground was about 125 for each, with the meter set at the 250v range.
Ok... that indicates an issue with the breaker or panel bus (the actual current carrying material the breaker connects to in the panel). Is this the only breaker in this panel? Is this just a small service disconnect close to the pump? So it's being fed from another panel/breaker in the main panel? Or is this the actual main panel that you're in now? We're getting closer.
It is the main service panel to the house. The are alot more breakers in it. The circuit for this pump goes from the service panel to a timer to a switch and then to the motor.
Ok good... so it should be fairly easy to test. Pick two breakers (two 20A breakers) located close to this double-pole breaker and test voltage there just like you did on the pump breaker. You should be getting 240V. This is just to make sure the meter is working correctly (since we know the other breakers are working). Assuming you get a reading close to 240V, that all but verifies the pump breaker is bad. Disconnect the wiring from your pump breaker, as well as the two wires connected to those two adjacent breakers. Connect the wires to those two breaker temporarily. The see if your pump will work. Make sure you turn the breakers on at the same time. This doesn't have to be with surgical like accuracy, but you just don't want the pump running from one leg for longer than a couple of seconds. So turn them on at the same time. Your pump should work like this. This is just temporary and just to verify. You don't want to use two breakers like this (there is actually a difference). Get a new double-pole breaker to replace the defective one.
Mike, Master Electrician

I checked the other breakers and got a reading of around 240V. It will take me awhile to do the re-wire check, but I'm guessing you're right, that it's the breaker. I'll check it out and replace it if that's it.

Thanks a lot for your help and expertise. It was getting really frustrating trying to figure it out by myself, especially since I have very limited electrical experience.

Thanks again!

This is a pretty difficult thing to troubleshoot... I'm glad to help. Thank you!