Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

i disconnected my in sink erator and ready to hook up the new…

Customer Question
i disconnected my in sink...
i disconnected my in sink erator and ready to hook up the new one. however, i can't figure out which wire is white or black from the tail that was on the old existing wiring. is there a way to tell?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/27/2010
Electrician: Mike, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike, Master Electrician
Hi, are you referring to the cord? I ask this because some are hard wired and some have a cord that plugs into a receptacle. I want to make sure I understand exactly what you have.

yes it's the cord that i need to wire to the unit then it plugs into an outlet

Ok... is one side of the cord textured? One side usually has ribs that run down the insulation and the other side is smooth. Do you see this on your cord?
yes i do see that.
The textured side is your neutral, the smooth side is hot.