Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

if one of my leg is burnt or open then why is both of my 2…

Customer Question
if one of my leg...
if one of my leg is burnt or open then why is both of my 2 hot wires leg still have 120 volt in it? by using the voltage tester i turned off the main 200 breaker and test the ground with one hot wire individually and it produce 120v and the other produce 120v as well. but when i use the voltage tester and test both of the hot wires it doesn't show nothing when the main breaker is off. but when i turn it on i use the tester again and test both of the hot wires it comes out to be 120 volt instead of 240 volt because my house is 200 amp so what would be the problem to this and how would i solve it without calling an electrician because i want to fix it myself?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/27/2010
Electrician: electrifier, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Tell me what you are calling a voltage tester. Is it a meter that tells you voltage or a tester that lights up when there is power there?
is a meter that tells you the voltage
Where are you testing your main lines? Are you testing line to line or are you testing line to neutral?
Are you testing with the main breaker on or off?
Are you testing the terminals on the main breaker where the wires from the meter connect?
im testing my main line through the electrical panel outside my backyard. im testing the line to neutral which is the ground right? i test it when the main breaker is off. what i test was i use the voltage test meter by touching the neutral to one of the main hot wires and it only shows 120v and the other hot wire shows 120v as well. but what i was saying was when i touch both hot wire with the test meter it should show 240v right? but instead it doesn't show nothing while the main breaker is on. but people is telling me that one of the leg is burnt and i figure is not true becuase that leg is still showing 120v with the test meter while the main 200 amp breaker is off. but when i turn it on i touch both of the leg with the meter tester and it doesn't read nothing when it should read 240v. so why wouldn't my 2 hot wires read 240v? could it be a short circuit somewhere or could it be a overload? and part of my house electrical wouldn't work unless i turn on the air conditioner but the ac central outside is not functioning
Test line to neutral with the main breaker OFF. This is to prevent feedback from the panel.
It does sound like a problem with the power coming to your house but we need a bit more information.
Is this service overhead or underground?
Does your house have it's own transformer or are there other houses on the same transformer?
underground and yes there are other houses on the same transformer
I need you to test voltage with the main breaker turned off at the lugs that feed the main breaker. Test line to line and each line to neutral and let me know what you get.