Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

ceiling fan install with 4 whites and 4blacks coming from the…

Customer Question
ceiling fan install with 4...
ceiling fan install with 4 whites and 4blacks coming from the ceiling box also wire switch into the wall
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/27/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) Do you have a 2 wire voltage tester?
no i do not have one but i will purchase 1 if need be
You'll need one and I suggest that you get a "Volt/Con" tester. Easy and safe to use. Any home center will have them.
i will pick up a volt-continuity tester today
I'll be here when you're ready.
what info do you need
You need to find the switch leg. Separate the wires and look for continuity between a black and white or if there are 2 switches the same for the second pair.
by seperatjng the wires do i use the tester to touch wires to find the combination between black and white till tester light appears im assuming this will show me what is hot and what is not
The tester I suggested will tell if you have voltage or continuity without changing a setting on it. This way you won't fry it. If you get a multimeter, although accurate for exact reading you have to be very careful not to have it on resistance and test wires that a hot. As soon as you get home with the tester a quick test to show how it works and you'll be ready for the real thing.
i am going to give this a try. how do i contact you for futher info. i would rather be plumbing than with things that can bite you back.
OK, but plumbing leaks and stinks. Just come back on this posting. The question will remain open.
i like a man with a sense of humor thanks for making me laugh i need some humor right now thanks for your patience
No problem, I enjoy a little humor too.

Edited by Mike G. on 6/27/2010 at 1:44 PM EST