Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

i have a10ga. 2 wire w/grnd to hookup for the lights outlets…

i have a10ga. 2 wire...
i have a10ga. 2 wire w/grnd to hookup for the lights outlets garage door opener etc. the old fuse box , 2 30 amp fuses. am trying to install a main lug loadcenter 70 amp cutler-hammer BR24L70SP f808& useing 2 br15amp gfcb115cs
i cantfigure out where the bl. wh. & gnd. should be going. got any PICTURES it looks odd the way the load wires are set in the breakers im confused. help! lauren
6/27/2010
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Pictures aren't necessary, just follow my directions.

1) The 2 lugs attached to the breaker buss are where you attach the black wires.
2) On the side there is a bar with multiple screws. That's the neutral bar and where the white is terminated.
3) This installation is a sub panel, so you will have to purchase and install a ground bar for the feed ground and where all the circuit grounds will attach.

Now wasn't that simple.
i have done that already. where are the circuits supposed to go if there is cap. for 4 there are 2 set screws on the front. so the one w/ whitr dot is for /white other side for the black ? that seems kindof ugly did i miss something.
I'm sorry but I don't know what you're trying to say.

1) does cap. mean capacity?
2) 4 of what?
3) 2 set screws on front - of what?

Pleas don't abbreviate, spell it out so I may better be able to understand what you're asking. The instructions for wiring a sub panel are as good as you'll get anywhere. What is the rest ?

the breaker has 2 setscrews one called load terminal the other is called load neutral the pigtail goes to white neutral bar.

there is 2 breaker spaces and 4 max. circuits for the lug loadcenter i figured it out for 2 circuits but how there will be space for 4 circuits in the 2 breakers just put 4 wires in the setscrews ?

If there isn't room for the breakers, then you'll need a larger sub panel. They wire the same and the only difference is that they may be rated for a higher amperage but you can use it for a lesser. Does that help.

no room ? right on the box it says a maximum of FOUR circuits i GUESS you dont have any idea either

thanks i ll fake it

lauren

How many circuits did you need?
Exactly what are intending to put on this panel?

Edited by Mike G. on 6/27/2010 at 2:20 AM EST

ok, sorry about getting snotty on last reply. was pist at subpanel.

i was going to have 3 circuits . 1 for a compressor , 1 for lights & garage door opener , 1 for outlets. in the subpanel, left side where the breakers connect i connected the black wire to the lug and jumped to other lug where other breaker connects. the white wire to lug at upper right side of subpanel . the ground wire to the ground bar that i installed. i also connected the pigtail from the breaker to the whites bar. then i tried to tempoary connect the lights circuit by connecting the white wire to the setscrew space in the front of the breaker (on right) the black wire to the setscrew on left and it is tripping the breaker when energised. i cant think of what i missed.

OK, I see what your doing now.

You have 10/2 with a ground going to sub panel
  • Land the White on the neutral bar
  • Land the black on the buss lug and jumper it to the other lug.
  • Land the ground on ground bar.
You now have 4 positions for your breakers 120V.

Install your breakers. The GFCI breakers should have the factory pig tails land on the neutral bar. The blacks and whites from your loads should both land on the breakers.
The grounds should land on the ground bar.

That should do it.

thanks i had to undo the outlet circuit i got it into the light circuit and when i removed it and connected the light alone the lights worked. now for the next breaker.

thanks

If your all set, Please hit the accept button and leave feedback.
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
To make sure that there isn't a problem - Don't forget to pull the white off the 30A termination in the main equipment and land it on the neutral bar.