Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We are trying to replace a kitchen light with another. Our…

Customer Question
We are trying to replace...
We are trying to replace a kitchen light with another. Our house was built in 1981 and there are red wires running in most of the light boxes. When we connect black to black, white to white and green to green, we get power, but we can't control it at the switch. If we connect the black in the fixture to red in the ceiling we get no power. This is connected on a dimmer switch on the wall. In the same box there is a regular switch that controls the drop lighting on the other side of the kitchen.

When we took the old light down there was a gold wire that went to the white and a gold wire that connected to the red and the black coming out of the ceiling was capped.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/25/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Mike G. :

Good evening. Are there 2 or more switches controling this light?

Mike G. :

Do you have a voltage tester?

Customer:

There are two light switches on the wall, but the other one controls the other kitchen lights. The dimmer was the only one that controlled this light. We thought we had a voltage tester, but cannot find it.

Mike G. :

Without a tester we'll feeling around in the dark. You need one to continue. I suggest a 2 wire Volt/Con. It'e easy to use and very safe for the novice.

Customer:

Okay, once we get one, do we just test whether the red wire is hot or not?

Customer:

Nevermind, he just found it

Mike G. :

No there is a step by step procedure. The results of the readings send us on one of several paths to find and then correct the problem

Mike G. :

OK, What type of tester is it and do you know how to use it?

Mike G. :

Are you still there?

Mike G. :

I'm switching to Q&A format. We can continue this via email.

Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Not getting a response from you I went to Q&Q format. To continue come back via the email link.
Hi. Sorry, it didn't ocur to us we would loose internet connection when we turned the power off. Anyway, we have since tested the wires and the red wire is not hot, the black wires are 120 V.
1) Is that with the switch on?
2) Does the black remain hot regardless the position of the switch?
3) Is there only one switch controlling this light?
I see that you accepted the auto answer request from the chat format. I don't see where we solved the problem and suggest that we continue as a follow up, so you can get what you paid for.
Thanks. We replaced the switch and it worked. I am not sure why. Anyway, thanks for the help figuring out what the issue was.
Glad it's resolved.