Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We installed new pendant lighting in the hallways last weekend.

Customer Question
They worked fine and then...
We installed new pendant lighting in the hallways last weekend. They worked fine and then began flickering and one went all the way out. Is it the dimmer switch that caused this? Are the fixtures not compable with dimmer switches?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/23/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Mike G. : Good Afternoon. My guess is that it's a bad connection. Most people don't know that the fixture wire strip from the factory isn't enough. The stranded wire should lead the solid in the wire nut. Not taking this into consideration causes the problem you have.
Customer:

it worked fine for about 3 days and then started to flicker and went out.

Mike G. :

It's either the connection or a bad lamp. If it's more than 1 lamp, it's the connection for sure.

Mike G. :

Not having a response from you for a few hours, I'll switch to Q&A format.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Haven't heard back from you. How did you do?