Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

i have one switch and two lights in a garage. In the first…

Customer Question
i have one switch and...
i have one switch and two lights in a garage.
In the first octagon box I have two black and two white wires.
In the second octagon box I have one black and one white wire.
each of the two ballasts has 1 black and one white wire respectively.
I have all 3 whites and all 3 blacks in first box hooked together and the first light works but not the second. how do I get the second light to work?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/22/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Electric Doctor :

First what you need to do is this, double check all your connections in the first box. Make sure they are all tight and not broken.

Customer:

they are tight, the first light is working but not the second

Customer:

when I took electrical tape off from previous tenant rigging, there was small red wire and small white wire "spliced in somehow ?

Electric Doctor :

Ok do you have a volt meter?

Customer:

no sorry

Customer:

shud have purchased one before i asked question huh?

Customer:

i have spare red wire and spare white short one if I need to touch it to find power supply?

Electric Doctor :

No dont do that

Electric Doctor :

do you have a regular light you can hook up to that wiring?

Customer:

it seems obvious that one blk and one white come in from one side of octagon box

Customer:

and one black and one white from other side of octagon box

Customer:

i have the ballast from florescent light with one black and one white wire coming out of it

Customer:

it is currently working its the second one which is not working

Electric Doctor :

I realize that, which is why im leaning toward a bad connection. It does happen and probably what you will ultimately find. But without a meter I cannot be certain. Do you have a standard light you can hook up? If you dont, then take the white wire from your fluorescent light, then hook that up to the grounding wire in the box. (this is temporary only - Just for testing purposes)

Customer:

okay do u want me to do that now?

Electric Doctor :

Yes ill be standing by

Customer:

disconnect it from current configuration and leave power turned on i assume?

Customer:

okay i cannot acess the grounding wire currently as it is inside a clip and inside a sleeve

Customer:

i think i will get voltage meter and then come back to this site

Electric Doctor :

Ok just reply back here when your ready to continue. Ill be here

Customer:

it will be tomorrow i think i have to hang up right?

Electric Doctor :

You can just close your chat window - then when you come back tomorrow just reply back to this post and we can pick up right where we left off.

Customer:

ill try it thanks

Electric Doctor :

No problem.