Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a hampyon bay ceiling fan model 740 183 which has stopped

Customer Question
working. The controller has new...
I have a hampyon bay ceiling fan model 740 183 which has stopped working. The controller has new batteries and indicates temp and fan position but nothing works. I have checked the power at the unit and have 112V at the ceiling outlet. What can the problem be?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/20/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 7 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Electric Doctor :

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical. You are corresponding with Joseph - "Electric Doctor", your personal online electrical consultant.

Electric Doctor :

You stated you have power at the fan, how did you check it?

Customer:

yes I have 120 volts at the inlet lines.

Customer:

I checked with a meter.

Electric Doctor :

Ok did you physically check the power up at the fan? Or somewhere else.

Customer:

at the fan connections.

Electric Doctor :

Ok is the remote receiver located up in the bracket housing where you checked for voltage, or is the receiver built into the fan?

Customer:

at the fan.

Electric Doctor :

Ok the receiver is built into the fan? Not accessible where you checked for voltage with the meter?

Customer:

no. it is located and installed into the fan bracket

Electric Doctor :

Oh ok...... here is what you need to do. Completely remove the receiver and connect the wiring direct to the fan. This will essentially bypass the receiver. Then operate the fan by the wall switch and pull chains. If the fan works normally, then you have a bad receiver and it will need to be replaced. If it does not work, then the possibility exists that the fan itself has gone bad. But in reality its more likely the receiver is bad and this is how you confirm this.

Customer:

ok what is the part number for the receiver, cost and how do I order it?

Electric Doctor :

did the receiver come with the fan or did you simply buy a universal unit and install it after the fact?

Customer:

it came with fan .

Electric Doctor :

You can go to this website for hampton bay fan parts.... --->Click Here<----
You can order just about anything from them in regards XXXXX XXXXX Bay fans.

Another resource is to call the company direct and order it from them: 1-(NNN) NNN-NNNNThis number is XXXXX Monday through Friday from 8am to 5pm eastern.

Customer:

thanks I have that number

Electric Doctor :

Ok, in reference to the website, all you need to do is type in the part number of the receiver you have and you should be able to find it.

Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Sunday, June 20, 2010 12:59:06 PM
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician