Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I just moved into a new home; the dryer outlet is a 3 prong;

Customer Question
my dryer has a 4...
I just moved into a new home; the dryer outlet is a 3 prong; my dryer has a 4 prong plug.
I have seached everywhere for a pigtail to match the outlet with no success. So I decided to change the outlet to fit my pigtail. Once buying the outlet and removing the existing outlet cover there are only 3 wires, red, white and black. no green for a ground.
What should I do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/19/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Chat Conversation Started
Electric Doctor :

Do you have a home depot or lowes nearby your home?

Customer:

yes

Electric Doctor :

Ok first what you need to do is restore the old three prong outlet in the wall. Then you need to go to your local home improvement store and purchase a three prong dryer appliance cord. Then hook that one up to the new dryer.

Customer:

I have been to HHGregg; Loews; Home Depot; and a local hardwae store and they don't have them.!

Electric Doctor :

http://www.lowes.com/pd_148708-58573-UTD100306_0_?productId=3151097&Ntt=dryer%20cord&Ntk=i_products&pl=1&currentURL=/pl__0__s?newSearch=true$Ntt=dryer%20cord$y=0$x=0

Electric Doctor :

Sorry give me one second here

Electric Doctor :

3 prong appliance cord from Lowes: This is directly from lowes website. This is what you need to get for your new dryer

Electric Doctor :

Once you do get it, this is how you need to wire this up:

Electric Doctor :

Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Saturday, June 19, 2010 8:05:47 PM