Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Hello, I need a wall switch used in the RV industry that you…

Customer Question
Hello, I need a...
Hello, I need a wall switch used in the RV industry that you can switch from 220 to 110 volt ,I think it is called a transfer switch used in Alfa RV's Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/19/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you.

1) Are you replacing one?
2) If so, are there any identification marked on it?
3) If not a replacement, what do you have for a panel?
4) How many circuits and what size breakers?
#1 Yes #2 No numbers or markings #3 220 Amp service
OK, I'll give you a link that shows two RV transfer switches,

www.Tweetys.com
I had a problem with the previous link - try this one

http://tweetys.com/search.aspx?find=transfer+switch

Edited by Mike G. on 6/19/2010 at 1:47 AM EST
Sorry No Help I Have Looked Here. Jackie
5)Did you see the 2nd link?

6) If that isn't what you're looking for then it's not a transfer switch.

7) Could you send a picture of it, for identification?
It looks like a wall switch that converts 220 v top position to 110 v bottom position. It is used in RV's Sorry...... Jackie
Jackie, I've viewed several sources and they don't list one. This could very well be a 2 pole double throw switch but without seeing it I can't say for sure. Pull it out and take several pictures from both sides and that will enable me to say for sure. to send the pictures use the link below and give me the link address.

http://www.pict.com/personal/albums
I will have to do it tomorrow if that is ok.. thanks
Not a problem. I'll be online in the afternoon.
Thank You, Jackie
OK - Don't respond to this message. I have to clear my board or I won't know when you post tomorrow.

Also, everything electrical should be marked with some ID. When you pull the switch, check the yoke for any ID.
Mike the only markings on the switch are as follows left side back of the switch says top a-1 middle L-1 bottom b - 1 Right top says a-2 middle L-2 bottom b-2 There is a sticky on one end that says NV Thats all...... Thanks, Jackie
Good morning, Your last message tells me that the switch is a double pole double throw switch. This should be available, if not at a home center, at any electrical supply house. I would caution you to mark the placement of the wires prior to removing the switch for replacement. The switch can be one of several sizes, 15, 20 or 30 Amp. I would ask you what size wires are attached but think that you wouldn't be able to answer that inquiry. Just take it with you to the supply house. One more thing - If you have a continuity tester, I would advise you to check the switch to make sure that it is your problem. If the switch is the control of the transfer equipment, it may not be the failure and you are only assuming that it is.