Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I would like to know how to convert a two-way light switch…

Customer Question
I would like to know...
I would like to know how to convert a two-way light switch into a receptical. What would I have to find in the wall box in order to perform this task.
I already have a single light switch in the same box. I just want to remove the two way light switch that controls the botXXXXX XXXXXght fixture and replace that light switch with a receptical.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/16/2010
Electrician: Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
With 2 hot wires and no neutral you can not do what you want, you will need to re-wire.Often it takes time and patience for experts to answer questios and is mainly due to the customers abilities.
What is a neutral wire ? and how do we know I dont already have it in the electrical box?

You said you have two hot wires. Neutral is NOT a hot thereforeif 2wires are all you have you cannot have a neutral. The neutral is an additional (white) wire you will need to complete the circuit with the bulb so it will work.

Mr Sparks, I do have only 2 hot wires, but I also have other wires in the box. Although the house is old and the wires are old, there are other wires in the box. The white wire in the box now turns on the bathroom light fixture, but there are other wires in the box. How can I test the wires to figure out which wire does what ????

Do you hve 2 wires or more at the back of the box wire nutted together but NOT going to a switch? If so this will very likely be your neutral wire and you shouild use this as well as one hot for your feed to the new receptacle.

The only wires nutted together are the 2 white wires controlling the bathroom lights. When the bathroom lights are on, they have current going through. However, when the lights are off, there isn't anything going through.

This sounds correct. You need to measure for power and not volts between these two wires and a hot. To do this you will need to connect a load such as a small lamp between them. Keep the two wire nutted together.

Mr. Sparks, what happens if I test a hot wire with each white wire cause I get juice with one and nothing with the other.?
We need to follow time honored proceedures that's the way it works and the reason it took so long before. I will opt out now. Good luck.