Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I HAVE A TRAVEL TRAILER WITH A THREE PRONG 30 AMP PLUG. IS…

Customer Question
I HAVE A TRAVEL TRAILER...
I HAVE A TRAVEL TRAILER WITH A THREE PRONG 30 AMP PLUG. IS THERE ANY WAY I CAN PLUG INTO MY 30 AMP NEMA 10-30P 125/250 CLOTHES DRYER OUTLET?

CHUCK
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/15/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Is this for temporary usage? Or will this be a permanent fix?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:11:50 PM
I WOULD PLUG IN ONLY WHEN WORKING INSIDE AND I WANTED TO RUN THE AC AND ALSO EVERY FEW WEEKS JUST TO CHARGE THE BATTERY. THE REST OF THE TIME I WOULD STILL USE THE CLOTHES DRYER.
Your travel trailer is 30amps or 120v correct?

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:30:55 PM
THE TRAVEL TRAILER IS 30 AMPS AND ONLY 12O VOLTS
Ok then no you will not be able to do this. 30amps at 120v means that you need a neutral. Your dryer as it is currently set up does not have a neutral. So I do not recommend this at all.

What I do recommend is that you simply run a new 30amp 120v line dedicated for your travel trailer.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:34:58 PM
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
DARN. THAT IS NOT WHAT I WANTED TO HEAR, BUT I THANK YOU FOR TELLING ME LIKE IT IS. THIS COULD GET EXPENSIVE AND I HOPED IT COULD BE CHEAPER. I WILL ACCEPT YOUR ANSWER, BUT I THINK I NEED TO ANSWER YOU FIRST.
If your panel is in the garage, it wont be expensive at all. Materials would cost you about $50-$75. Also if you are handy you could do this yourself.

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:42:14 PM
I AM UN-HANDY. I'LL BE CALLING AN ELECTRICIAN. I DON'T DO GAS AND I DON'T DO ELECTRIC. I'LL DO WATER.
LOL - good deal. Thank you for "Accepting" my answer and allowing me the opportunity to help you with your electrical question. If you ever need anything further, please dont hesitate to ask. Please remember to BookMark my profile for your next electrical question.

Monday, June 14, 2010 8:52:02 PM
I SHALL.