Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Yes, I would be willing to give up one of the switches to install…

Customer Question
Yes, I would be willing...
Yes, I would be willing to give up one of the switches to install the timer. How do I accomplish this?

Thanks.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/14/2010
Electrician: Alex, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
please unscrew both switches from boxes and tell me the color of the wires in the boxes and also what color wire is going to the black screw and what colors are going to the brass screws.do you have a voltage tester?

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 6/15/2010 at 1:09 AM EST
Yes, I have a voltage tester.

Here is the wiring pattern for both the garage (this is the one I'm willing to give up) and hallway (where I want to install the timer) switches:

Top left: red wire to gold screw
Top right: black wire to gold screw
Bottom left: white wire to black screw
Bottom right: no wire to green screw

The new timer switch has green, white, black and red wires.
Thank you for information. however I also need the color and amount of the wires besides the ones that go in to the switches. I suspect in one of the boxes you only have black, red, white and bare. is that correct? also which wire is spliced to which wire with wire nut and etc. Let's call garage switch box box#1 and hallway box box #2. I also need what color wires are going to what color screws in BOTH boxes. thank you
Do you have voltage tester? I think it will be easier for both of us if you snap the pictures of both boxes and upload here using green tree button located on the top of typing window.
Relist: I still need help.
I looked at the both the garage and hallway switch box wiring arrangements and have drawn a schematic of each one. Since there is a second switch in both boxes controlling other lights, and these are related to the outside lights we are trying to control with the timer, it seems too complicated to describe accurately in words. I have drawn a schematic showing how each box is wired. Is there a way to send this to you? Otherwise I don't think we can resolve this via email. Any suggestions?
Relist: I still need help.
I looked closer at the wiring in the two switch boxes. It's somewhat complicated because each of the two switches serving the outside lights are tied in with another switch for inside lights. I don't think I can describe this accurately but I have drawn a schematic. Is there a way to send it to you?