Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

gfi will not push in. can you help identify the problem

Customer Question
gfi will not push in...
gfi will not push in. can you help identify the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/13/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Can you give me more background on the problem? Is this something that just happened? Do you have access to a volt meter? Is there anything else that is not working besides that outlet?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:53:40 PM
This is the first time this has happened. The GFI is in the garage. The GFI will not push in. There is no electricity to the other two outlets in the garage which are not on GFIs. The circuite breaker is not tripped.
Ok what you are going to want to do is check the breaker again, but this time physically push on each breaker handle to see of there is any "play" in the breaker. If you do then turn that breaker all the way off then back on again in order to reset.

If that does not work, you will need to get access to a digital volt meter. Are you willing and able to get one if you dont already have one?

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Sunday, June 13, 2010 8:23:30 PM
I don't have a digital volt meter--but assuming that I get one--then what?
Still waiting for answer.
With the meter you will check voltages. I recommend this pack from Lowes - The Greenlee 3 Piece Electrical Testing Kit This will cost you $26.87, but will save us allot of time in trouble shooting.

Again once you get a meter, post back here to let me know and ill walk you through what you need to do and how to do it.

Monday, June 14, 2010 10:05:08 AM