Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

my 4 wire fan switch bkoke and all the wires fell out. I have…

Customer Question
my 4 wire fan switch...
my 4 wire fan switch bkoke and all the wires fell out. I have a new switch but not sure of the locations.

My new swtich has positions of
L, 1, 2, & 3

I have two wires coming out of the capacitor. A black one and a violet one
I have a black one that comes from the plug that connects the light and fan switch assembly to the main body of the fan housing.

I have a red wire that is connected to two brown wires and a red wire. The two brown wires go to the capacitor and the red wire goes to the fan direction switch.

can you please tell me the wire locations
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/13/2010
Electrician: Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician

How many free ends of wires (formally connected to the switch) and what colors do you have now?

I have 4 unconnected wires

1 black comes from plug that goes to main fan motor housing

1 black from capacitor

1 violet from capacitor

1 red described below

there is a capacitor that has 5 wires

2 brown wires go to a wire nut with 2 red wires one of these red wires goes to the fan directional switch and one of the red wires is unconnected (noted above)

I'm sorry but that does not match any of the combinations I know. I will opt out in case another expert may help you.
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. What is the mfg. of the fan?

Mike G.

Already got it taken care of. I took another fan apart and matched the colors to the switch positions. Works fine.

But...It was a Hampton Bay

I'm glad you're all set.