Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Im trying to install a GE smart digital time (model 15086).

Customer Question
I'm trying to install a...
I'm trying to install a GE smart digital time (model 15086).

When I remove the current on/off switch, I don't see red or white wires -- only black. Two black wires at the top of the unit (one sticks directly into the back of the unit via a 'quick-release' type connection, the other is attached to a metal bolt which screws into the right side), and a similar pairing near the bottom.

I don't know which wires to connect to the black, red and white wires on the digital timer.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/13/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

look in the switch box, tell me if you have any white wires wire nutted together in the back of the box (not attached to the current switch)

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Sunday, June 13, 2010 6:52:06 PM
Yes, there are three other switches in this particular box. And I do see a spot where 6 white wires are twisted together.
Ok the way these digital timers are suppose to be wire is with the use of a neutral. So you will need to hook the green to the grounding wires in the box. The black wire to the other black wires in the box. The red wire to the wire going out to your lights, and then the white wire to the other white wires in the box. This timer will not work unless you hook up the neutral.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:02:54 PM
Thanks. I had a couple of follow up questions to make sure I get this right:

1) how do I tell which wire is the black wire coming from the main feed, and which is the black wire going out the lights? Right now, there are two black wires that attach to the top portion of the current switch. One plug in via 'quick release' switch, the other screws to the side. Can't tell which one goes to the the light.

2) There aren't any white wires connect to the current switch - they're all black. But the wires on the bottom are daisy chained to all of the other switches in the box -- should I assume they should be white?

Thanks
All the wires that are daisey chained to the other switches are the feed wires that will connect to the black wire on the timer. The red wire will connect to the remaining black wires on the switch. Your white wire from the timer will connect to the wire nutted white wires in the back of the box.

Sunday, June 13, 2010 7:41:52 PM