Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a ceiling fan with black, blue, green and white wire.

Customer Question
My house has red, black...
I have a ceiling fan with black, blue, green and white wire. My house has red, black, white and a copper wire coming down. How do I install my ceiling fan? Which wire goes with what? My lights are on dimmers also.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/13/2010
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hello. What was previously installed at the location where you are installing the fan? Was there a fan there previously, or was there a light fixture there before?

Light fixure

Thank you for the additional information. At the wall switch for the old light fixture, how many switches are there? If it is only one, is the box capable of having a second switch installed? Do you want seperate switching for the light and fan?

Your fan does not have a remote, correct?

There are two switches at the wall. 1 for the fan 1 for the light. I need to know which wires to hook up to what, because the colors don't match up.

Thank you for the additional information. If one of the switches is a dimmer, that definitely needs to connect to the blue wire on the fan. That will be the black or red wire, likely the red. You may need to do this by trial and error. If you have a volt meter or some other type of electrical tester, we can figure out which wire is controlled by each switch.

If it turns out that the red ceiling wire is controlled by a dimmer switch, then you will want to connect the black ceiling wire to the black fan wire.

Connect white to white, and green to bare, and you should be all set.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician