Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

have a 20 amp fuse in load panel that is humming, when I turn…

Customer Question
have a 20 amp...
have a 20 amp fuse in load panel that is humming, when I turn off this fuse the humming stops, this fuse controls two bedrooms, have unplugged everything that is plugged in, stil humming?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/13/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

When you push the button, does the breaker trip off? Does the breaker say afci on it?

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:24:41 PM
pushing red buttion does not trip breaker, can't find any writing on fuse
Ok you will need to replace this breaker. With it having a red button it sounds like a gfci breaker. But you will need to look closely at the writing on the breaker to be sure. But if you push the button and nothing happens then your breaker is definately shot.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

*Please press the ACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:39:21 PM

can I do this or do I need an electrican, also if I trip this fuse, is it now safe?

if it does go bad, will it trip the fuse ?

When a breaker goes bad it can either trip all the time, or just wont trip at all. And yes you can do this yourself.

Here is a video that I made that shows you how to change a breaker. Now keep in mind this video shows you how to change a regular breaker not a gfci breaker, but just pay attention to the procedure. With yours what I can tell you is this, mark the wires as to where they go so when you put the new one in, youll be good to go.

Saturday, June 12, 2010 9:55:32 PM