Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have two toggle switches to hook up so that each individual…

Customer Question
I have two toggle switches...
I have two toggle switches to hook up so that each individual switch puts on a separate light. How do I do it?.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/12/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. Are both lights now controlled by one switch?
Actually the last time I hooked up the switches I did it wrong so that BOTH LIGHTS ARE CONTROLLED BY EITHER SWITCH. In other words, when I flick the bottom switch the light on the ceiling comes on as well as the light over the mirror. The same happens if I flick the top switch.
OK, let's proceed.

1) You have described a switch over switch as the device.
2) There should be 3 wires connected to it.
3) One of the wires is the feed and the other two are the switch legs to the fixtures.
4) To verify which is the feed, you'll need to remove the wires from the switch and touch two at a time together.The common one that when used lights the lights is the feed.
5) Look at the switch, you'll see a black screw. This is the termination for the feed. The gold screws are the terminations for the switch legs.

Wire it up and let me know how you did.
Well, can't this be diagrammed? I mean just tell me how to hook it up. I know how to find out which wire is the feed. What I need to know, is how to wire the black and white wires. Can I submit a picture to you of how I have it wired, and you tell me how to correct it. I can place a pic online for you to view. I can depict for you which line is the feed. What do you think?
If you know the feed then it will be easy.

6) The white of the feed pair is connected to the whites from the lights.
7) Feed black to the black screw.
8) Blacks from the lights to the gold screws.
Here is the diagram you requested.

http://www.pict.com/view/3649648/800/swoversw

Edited by Mike G. on 6/12/2010 at 11:18 PM EST