Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

We are installing a chandelier and the light works when attached…

Customer Question
We are installing a chandelier...
We are installing a chandelier and the light works when attached to the jbox however the switch will not turn it off and on. At the switch the red and black wires are connected. At the jbox the white and black wires are connected. We switched the wires both at the swich and at the jbox so the wires matched but neither times worked. Is there something else we should be doing?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/10/2010
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you Sir or Madam for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical!!
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Can you tell me what color wires are at the switch box? Also what all wires are in the ceiling box where the light is? I need to know the colors.

If you see this message, that means I need more information from you!
- Please respond ASAP to this Information Request
- This will prompt me to respond – Thus ensuring you receive the best customer service available.

Please be patient with us, questions are often asked for the following reasons:
- To clarify what was posted to gain more of an understanding
- To get a clear picture of what the problem is in order come up with a game plan
- Your problem may be complicated and may need several follow up questions in order to enable me to help you solve the problem.

Please reply back to this post when you are ready to continue:

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:29:31 PM
Joseph - The colors at the switch box are black white & red and then the copper ground wire. At the jbox is the exact same 4 wires.
Ok tell me which color wires are attached to the switch.

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:35:08 PM

The red and black are attached at the switch. The black and white are attached at the jbox.

Ok im still a little confused. How many wires are in the ceiling box? Are there two cables or just one cable. Also how many cables enter the switch box one or two?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:37:43 PM
There are 3 wire at each spot. This is a jbox and swtich that were wired for a ceiling fan. However we aren't installing a fan we are installing a light. Which is why we only need 2 wires instead of 3. Again there is red, black and white at the jbox and at the switch.
I understand this, but there is something missing here. What is missing is a power supply to either the switch box or the j-box where the light is going to be attached. It does not make sense that there is only one cable at each location.

Now can you tell me if there are any power feeds in this box or the switch, or is there another junction box where both of these cables feed from?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:42:40 PM

There is no power supply missing. We tested both the jbox and the switch. I don't know why you are talking about 1 cable. There are 3 cables at each location.

We figured it out. We changed out the switch. The original was a bad switch.

Ok so do you have three separate cables in each box or three wires? From what I read above, you have one cable with black / red / white and ground. Is this correct?

Thursday, June 10, 2010 1:47:31 PM