Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a old style sears coded push button remote that is mounted…

Customer Question
I have a old style...
I have a old style sears coded push button remote that is mounted on the exterior jamb of garage door. It is directly wired to the opener unlike the new ones that use radio signal to ativate the opener. It has the outdoor unit with the push buttons tat is wired to an inside unit that is wired to the opener motor. The indoor box has a 9 volt battery that operates the the electrical signals when the buttons are pushed. It worked fine on my house, I only had to change the battery about every 5 years. After I replaced my entire opening system, I put the push button on my sons door, It worked fine, but the 9 volt battery only last about a week or two . I have replaced the battery several times, and they all only last a few weeks. Any ideas?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/9/2010
Electrician: Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
I would suggest a partial incompatibility of systems. A 9 volt DC transformer can be purchased on Ebay for about $10. I think this is the way to go, but if you do not agree please do not click on "accept"

You are saying to just hook up a 9 volt dc transformer to the unit in place of the battery so that the unit will always have power, correct? I do not see how incompatibility could effect,as the battery is only for the outside push button unit to send a signal to the inside unit to tell it to close the switch that is conected by two wires to the dorr motor in the ceiling. The inside unit has a push button on it that opens the door even if the battery is run down or missing, so I think that means that unit should be compatable.

Electrician: Craig, Electrical Technician replied 8 years ago
Craig
Craig, Electrical Technician
Do you have a multi-meter for some tests? I would recommend a milliamp test from the battery lead to determine what kind of load it is seeing in the push button control. a meter is the only way to do this. Let me know if you would like me to advise.