Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Background Bought a new house in 2008, deployed overseas and…

Customer Question
Background: Bought a new house...
Background: Bought a new house in 2008, deployed overseas and came back in 2009. Learned that the builder filed for bankruptcy, so I couldn't call them for house issues. Once I was settled, noticed that the living room lamps won't turn on when I turn the switch on in the living room and all the bedrooms upstairs. Checked the connections inside the switch and they seem "ok" as far as I know. Noticed also that there's a switch between the living room and the dining room that does not do anything. I assumed that the switch is also for when you come back home and turn on a lamp or something from that particualr switch. What could it be the problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/9/2010
Electrician: Alex, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Alex
Alex, Master Electrician
Hello. Let's start from easiest step.plus shut all the circuit breakers except main breaker off and then turn them back on. See if that helps. Please let me know if that does not work so we can continue troubleshooting. Please DO NOT accept my answer unless you are satisfied and/or I helped you to solve the problem. My goal is your satisfaction and positive feedback.
I already did and nothing happened.
First of all I would like to thank you for serving our country to keep us safe. Is that lamp plug in or ceiling mount? Do you have voltage tester? Can you tell me how many and what color wires do you have in the switch box and which wires are connected to switch?
Thanks. The lamp is plugged in to a standard outlet. I don't have a voltage tester. The lamp works when I manually turn it on, using the lamp's own switch. I saw the typical red, black and white wires that I can recall. I'll double check when I get the chance.
Ok. From what I understand you have switched outlet. Please tell me, is the half of the outlet switched or both parts of the outlet? Let me know when you get the chance.

Both work when I turn the lamp on manually (usingnthe lamp's on/off switch), regardless whether the light switch on the wall is on or off.

I guess you sure that that particular outlet used to be switched control.can you please try rest of the outlets. You might have only one outlet that is switched controlled. Have you replaced any outlets in the room? I also need you to tell me how many and what color wires are in the outlet box and how they are connected to the outlet. Let me know please .

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 6/9/2010 at 3:15 PM EST
I was told when I was inspecting the house before the closing that that switch and the ones upstairs were switched controlled. Checked all outlets and they seem regular switches. The builder has made critical errors building the community. Had a fire in my fireplace (between the exterior and interior walls) and the fire chief inspector determined that it was "improper installation" the root cause of the fire, so I won't be surprised that probably they are not switched controlled. I will check the wiring and get back to you, and thanks again for your assistance.
You are welcome. Let me know when you get home.