Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

I have a 25 year old house in New Mexico. My electrician installed…

Customer Question
I have a 25 year...
I have a 25 year old house in New Mexico. My electrician installed some tracts lighting in the kitchen. He used #14 gauge wire to connect the two tracts. Doing a little research after the fact i noted the switch box has a 20 amp label for the kitchen. A few sites on the internet say #12 with 20 amp. Do i have a problem?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/9/2010
Electrician: Mike, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike, Master Electrician
Hi, if the lights are on a 20A circuit, #12 needs to be used. One thing to keep in mind though: Make sure the breaker you were looking at for the kitchen is indeed the breaker for the lights. The kitchen receptacles are usually on a different circuit than the kitchen lights. The kitchen receptacles should indeed be 20A, but it's common (in some areas) and code compliant, to put the kitchen receptacles on a 20A circuit and the kitchen lights on a 15A circuit. So all I'm saying, is turn that breaker off and see if your lights go off to make sure that's the breaker for the lights. But yes, you are correct, 20A required #12, 15A required #14+ (or #12).

Regards,

mike

Edited by Mike on 6/9/2010 at 3:36 AM EST
Do let me know if there's anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

Edited by Mike on 6/9/2010 at 3:48 PM EST