How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Alex Your Own Question
Alex, Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 1783
Experience:  Owner of independent electrical contracting company. Licensed Electrical Contractor in CT.
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Alex is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello, I hope all is well. I have a Hamptom Bay ceiling fan

This answer was rated:

Hello, I hope all is well. I have a Hamptom Bay ceiling fan with a light. I have a regular switch on the wall, and 2 pull chains on the fan itself. My wife smellled something burning, and I noticed that the switch on the wall was left on. The chain switch for the light was off, but the fan pull switch must have been left on and was making a low humming noise. Also the bottom part which houses the wiring and light was hot to the touch. The fan is no longer working, and makes a low humming noise when I pull the chain to turn it on. The light is working fine. Do I need to purchase a new fan? Thank you for your time.
Hello. Is the chain for fan moving freely or there is a chance it is getting stuck? Is that bottom part that is housing the light getting hot even when the fan is off?

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 5/27/2010 at 3:13 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hello Alex, yes the chain is moving freely and when I pull the switch it sounds as if it's going to work but it doesn't.
Ok. Here is the deal. inside of that light housing there are all the connections as well as capacitors for fan speed. Since the box is getting hot most likely the capacitor is getting overheated. The reason for overheating might be faulty capacitor or the motor of the fan is stuck/faulty which in turn makes the capacitor to overheat. There might be a loose wire in that housing as well or under the canopy. If you can not find the loose wire I would suggest to buy a new fan. You can get nice fan with descent price in home depot. Unfortunately I can not give you more information but if you have more questions I'll be glad to answer.

Edited by Alex the Electrician on 5/27/2010 at 3:31 PM EST
Alex and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you

Thank You for accepting my answer. You can bookmark my profile for your future electrical question. That way you could find me easy.





Related Electrical Questions