Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

How to wire for a fire suppression system

Customer Question
?...
How to wire for a fire suppression system ?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
5/18/2010
Electrician: Mike G., Master Electrician replied 7 years ago
Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Hi, I'm Mike and I'll be glad to assist you. The fire suppression system is master to the shut down of electrical equipment. The system will have a micro switch to activate a shunt trip breaker. In any case all electrical equipment under the hood must shut down. Generally all the equipment is out of a single panel with a shunt trip main.

Do you have any wiring diagrams? To show the order in how it is wired.

Do i bring a 120v control circuit from the main panel to a fire suppression panel?

What exactly is a shunt trip main? How is electric gas valve wired, so when exhaust fan is off, gas is off?

Thanks

P.S-sorry to act stubborn but this is my first one to wire...do mainly residential work.

OK let's proceed.

1) A shunt trip breaker is a breaker with a solenoid to trip when power is applied to the solenoid. A micro switch, usually provided by the Ansel Installers, has a NO / NC contacts.
Your circuit (15A) for tripping the shunt breaker can originate in the same panel.

2) The gas valve is mechanically ( air craft cable) shut not electrically.

3) The exhaust fan is not to be turned off, it must be turned on. This can be accomplished by installing a contactor to pull down and turn the fan on bypassing its switch.

I hope this explains how it works and helps you to install it.

Yes, but how does everything get wired in together. Do I have an electrical control box given to me by the ansel people?

And are there any wiring diagrams that show how:

1-when exhaust to come on if off and stay on if on.

2-fresh air to shut down if they have it.

3-electric gas to shut down.

4-tie to fire alarm if they have one.

5-any electric under hood to shut down.

they say electric gas valve must be *wired* so when exhaust fan is off gas is off-any wiring diagram? you said gas valve is mechanically (air craft cable) shut not electrically...what is an air craft cable?

I'm sorry my scanner isn't working. I'll have to opt out and let another expert send you the schematic.
Okay, thanks.
Electrician: electrifier, Master Electrician replied 7 years ago
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Hello.
Do you have a solenoid valve for the gas appliances under the hood? This should be in the gas line that feeds all the appliances under the hood.
Do you have an air make up unit that supplies tempered air to the kitchen when the exhaust fan runs?
What do you have that is electric under the hood besides lights?
Where is the hood exhaust wired from? This must stay on when the Ansel system is triggered.

Sorry, i don't know the answers to these questions yet. I haven't seen the job yet. They just called me about it and told me those scenarios that need to be done. I'm not to experienced with it and wanted to be prepared before i went in to it.

If you can do the best at answering the previous questions and if you had a schematic you could send that would be nice to see too.

And What actually is the electrician usually required to do? Does he just run a 120v control circuit to a control box? Does someone else just do the control wiring? Is there a fire-suppression system control box that someone supplies.

Thanks for your help...i'll check back tomorrow.

The electrician will wire the controls for this system. When the ansel system is activated there are normally 2 micro switches that switch. They have N.O. and N.C. contacts on each one. The normally closed contact will be used to activate the breaker that feeds the sub panel that will shut down and kill the power under the hood. Wire 120 volts to the com terminal on a switch and from the N.O. contact wire to the shunt trip breaker. The other side of the breaker goes to the neutral buss in the panel. This will energize the shunt trip in the breaker when the ansel system is set off which will shut down everything under the hood. This will all be wired from the sub panel fed by this breaker. Make sure the exhaust is powered from the main panel so it does not shut down at this time. This must run to get rid of the smoke. Only the make up air shuts down from the sub panel along with anything else electrical under the hood. Does this make sense to you now? Let me know
electrifier
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician