Mike G.
Mike G., Master Electrician
Experience:  Proven Professional 48 years Experience
29848548

I cannot insert by plug into the holes of the new GFCI outlet.

I cannot insert by plug into the holes of the new GFCI outlet. I have pushed the reset button, but the plugs still cannot be pushed into the holes.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be glad to assist you. To start I'll need some additional information. What type of plug are you trying to insert - How many blades?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It it three prongs (two flat and the round ground) - it is for my hot water heater and was plugged in originally, and I had to unplug for a few mintues. And now will not go in. The master electrical panel has no tripped breakers.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 years ago.
Have tried to plug anything else into it?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes - have tried seveal other plugs (all grounded) - nothing will go into either the top of bottom set of holes. It feels like something is blocking the ground hole.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 years ago.
It appears to be defective. Remove and replace the device.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It is brand new and was working 10 minutes ago.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 years ago.
If won't allow you to plug a cord into it and you've tried several plugs , no matter how old it is the only direction I can give is to replace it.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Well then - how does this type of receptable (GFI) work. When you push test button and light is on is there some type of automatic blockage that should be removed when the reset button is pushed??? The light goes off when the reset button is pushed.
Expert:  Mike G. replied 7 years ago.
There are two types of pilot lights on GFCIs. One lights when it's on and another manufacture makes one that lights when it's off. Either don't prohibit their use with regard to their status. The only receptacle that inhibits the insertion of a plug is a tamper proof device. They are marked "TP" and prevent the insertion of a plug with a shutter. No matter, replace it.