Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

trying to wire a 12 volt ram with a relay ram goes up and down

Customer Question
when u invert both wires...
trying to wire a 12 volt ram with a relay ram goes up and down when u invert both wires i have a 8 pin relay need help thanks SAM
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
4/13/2010
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 7 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Hi Sam. Can you clarify what you mean by "inverting" the wires? Are there 2 wires coming from the ram? What is your control voltage for the relay coil?

Do you have a pushbutton to engage the relay?

yes two wires on ram when i put red on + black on - it goes up when i put black on + and red on - it goes down the no idea about control voltage the relay is a potter &brumfield part # XXXXX i know its the one i need just have no idea how to make it work
Okay, thank you for the additional information. Let me sketch this out, and I'll post a drawing for you shortly.

thanks
I have it sketched on paper. Now I just have to make the digital version and post it here for you. I estimate it will take me 20 minutes or so to have it ready for you to view.

thanks again
Okay, here's the diagram. Thanks for the challenge, I haven't done anything like this in a long time. Let me know if you have any questions.

graphic
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
can u tell me if im still using the relay i have and the meaning of n.c and n.o
You are using the relay, and "N.O." means "normally open". "N.C." means normally closed. "Com." means common. If you draw a vertical line from top to bottom between the 2 sets of (3 per set) blue dots, you will see that the 3 dots on the left are one set of relay contacts, and the dots on the right are the other set of contacts.

You have a double pole relay, with 3 connection points per pole. That's 6 of your 8 pins. The other 2 pins are the coil connections.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician