How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sir Sparks Your Own Question
Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 2532
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
22778599
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Sir Sparks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I woke up this morning had no water, checked the pump house.

This answer was rated:

I woke up this morning had no water, checked the pump house. the pump motor has a humming sound. So i changed out the cap, turned the power back on still the same. does anybody have an idea what the next step is. Idont havean ohm meter. Is it the pump motor "submersable".

Hi is this a deep well pump? How many HP ?

 

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes deep well pump and the control box says 3/4 hp single phase 3 wire 220v
OK. The control box has more than just a capacitor in it. I usually take mine to a well installers who can check it out. They cost about $90 which is much better than the thousands on a new well pump. If it is the type where the front panel unplugs then it is very easy, no need to change out the back box so it's a 5 minute fix.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So, the only thing left in the box is the relay. and yes its where the front panel plugs in. What about the preasure control switch, can it be bad? You dont think the pump went out?
Yes that is possible too. You will need a volt meter ($23 from Home Depot) to check this out, or look for signs of burning on the contacts. Also switch the breaker all the way off and then back on. A new pressure switxh is $17 from Home Depot.
Sir Sparks and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
yes there is signs of burning on the contacts of the preasure switch. Ther is also bunn signs on one termanal inside the controle box that leads to the preasure switch. I need the volt meter to check if the motor is bad or the switch. thank you for all this info its been very useful.