Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

how can a I wire a 110v motor to go forward and reverse L1

Customer Question
how can a I wire...
how can a I wire a 110v motor to go forward and reverse L1 - t1,t3,t8 and L2 - t2,t4,t8... I need to change 5&8 using a two contac starter
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/20/2010
Electrician: electrifier, Master Electrician replied 7 years ago
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
How do you start and stop the motor now?
Is there a motor starter in the circuit?
Its a slow gear to motor to run a clothing conveyor.Goes somewhat slow.But that is the motor they want to use from conveyor people. I just need how to wire starter to change T8&T5. On 110 motor
What do you use to start and stop, to reverse the motor for your use?
Was there a reversing motor there before or is this a new installation that has never been hooked up before
It was A GE motor Mod 5KC47RG736A But now they sent this motor from conveyor people 115/208-230
Ok, existing installation. Did the old motor reverse?
What controlled the old motor?
A two 3 contac starter using 5 T leads a
Please explain. I don't understand that statement.
The motor they had was a special motor that can rev and for by a foot switch. But now they give us a regular motor that goes one way or another by switching T8 and T5. But i want the starter to do that.
Do you want a starter to change directions or would a reversing drum switch work for you?
How do you want to control a starter?
Starter
How do you want to control the starter?
Please answer the questions as I ask. I can not read your mind and I must know these things exactly as asked.
by a foot switch for. and rev.
I need a wiring diagram for the foot switch. Can you get me one?
How many wires come from the switch?
3 wires Hot and a rev. wire and a for. wire
You need what is called a reversing contacter for 3 phase power. It needs to be rated large enough for the 120 volt motor that you have. Check the amperage of t he motor at 120 volts and make sure the contacter is large enough to handle the current of the motor. Feed power to the hot wire and connect a return wire to the forward contacter coil and the other to the reverse contacter coil. The reversing contacter functions by swapping the 2 outside wires on the top side and keeping them the same on the bottom side. Wire the motor for forward and make the wires T5 and T8 connect thru the motor contacter. When you hit the forward switch it will run forward and when you hit the reverse button it swaps T5 and T8. Remove T5 from the wirenut where it goes and run a wire from T5 to the contacter left side terminal on the bottom and a return wire to the wires where it came from to the top left terminal on the contacter. Do the same with wire T8 on the right side bottom and the return to the wire nut where it came from from the top right terminal.
If you have more questions please ask me here. The contacter will swap the 2 wires, T5 and T8 when you energize the left coil or the right coil. If you want the foot pedal to work the other way simply reverse the wires from the foot pedal. You do need to make sure the 120 volt circuit is completed to the other side of both coils so they will energize.
Mike, Master Electrician