Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

can i put four 12 volt batteries in a golf cart instead of

can i put four 12 volt batteries in a golf cart instead of 6 eight volt batteries

Bob
Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer Electrical.
You are corresponding with JOSEPH - Your "Personal On-Line Electrical Consultant".

Yes you can. But you will need the deep cycle batteries. But the other thing is, they will not last as long because they are not manufactured for the conitinual drain that you will get from batteries specifically manufactured for golf carts. So in the long run you will end up replacing these again.

My recommendation is that you purchase the 6v golf cart batteries. As they will last much longer and give you more bang for your buck.

Please reply back to this post:

*Please press theACCEPT button if my answer has solved your problem.
* Ask as many questions as you need until you fully understand
* Please remember to leave "Positive Feedback" if you are satisfied with my answer
* 100% customer satisfaction is my goal for you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

we only use this to putter around the grounds, it is only used for about 30 minutes 2 or 3 times a week. can we use a regular car battery if we are unable to get the deep cycle battery on Maui?

No, it will die on you very quickly and you will find yourself charging it all the time. As stated above, you could get away with deep cycle batteries, but your golf cart batteries in the long run will ultimately be best.

Please reply back to this post if you need further assistance:

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

thanks, i just found that we can get 12v marine deep cycle batteries at costco Maui for $74, the 8 volt golf cart batteries here at NAPA are $160 each. we dont use the golf cart that much, would you agree that the marine battery would be preferable under these circumstances

Bob

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

i didn't get your reply to this

thanks, XXXXX XXXXX found that we can get 12v marine deep cycle batteries at costco Maui for $74, the 8 volt golf cart batteries here at NAPA are $160 each. we dont use the golf cart that much, would you agree that the marine battery would be preferable under these circumstances

Bob

Sorry i did not see your original response. As stated previously, it will work. But you will only get about 1/4 of the life out of them that you would from the proper batteries. Plus they will only hold a charge for a fraction of the time.

Again, I highly recommend getting the batteries designed for golf carts. You can buy them on ebay cheaper, or other online sources, but that is what I recommend.