Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

how many 12-2 wires can i fit into a 4 junc. box i could

Customer Question
how many 12-2 wires can...
how many 12-2 wires can i fit into a 4" junc. box i could not feed power from receptical to receptical. so i had tto ad a junction box toi feed all recepticals
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/28/2009
Electrician: Mike, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Mike, Master Electrician
Are you just putting a blank cover over the box or will it contain any switches or receptacles?
blank cover power comes into junc. box then i will feed all recep.
What kind of junction box is this (plastic or metal)?

plastic

Take a look on back of the box (inside) and see what the number of #12 conductors are allowed. It's hard to see, but it should be there on the back of the box (should list number of #10, #12, and #14 conductors) and then I'll help you figure out how many 12/2 cables can go in the box.

ok give me a min.

there is no info on coductors its a carlon box it states 20 in3 vol pvc 2-hr-w ul certified

and the sizes of knockouts

please help i am trying to wire 5 recepticals but can not feed from receptical to receptical so i am feeding it into a junction box (plastic) with blank cover. the box does not state conductores so how many can i feed from this box

Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Hi, lets start from the beginning. Your feeding power to outlets from a J-box correct? Tell me exactly what it is you need to know?

correcxt how many wires can i feed into the box i believe ground counts as 1 neautral as1 and hot count indavidualy so 6 total

Ok look in the box, it should say what the cubic inch space is. It may look like 20cu or something to that affect. Then tell me what size wire your using.

12-2 20in3 vol

Is it 20 or 20.3?

20

Ok you can put 8 #12 wires in it. So all your grounding wires collectively will count as 1. So in reality that means you can put up to 7 more in the box. So that means you can put 3 12ga cables in the junction box.

ok i thought neutral also counted for 1

No it does not because its a current carrying conductor.
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician