How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sir Sparks Your Own Question
Sir Sparks
Sir Sparks, President/Owner/ Master Electrician
Category: Electrical
Satisfied Customers: 2532
Experience:  US State Certified & UK Electrical Contractor for all electrical fields/disciplines
Type Your Electrical Question Here...
Sir Sparks is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a stabiloy (R) AA-8030 AL Type SE 600V 3 CDRS 2 AWG

Resolved Question:

I have a stabiloy (R) AA-8030 AL Type SE 600V 3 CDRS 2 AWG wire that used to service a 100 amp circuit box and I want to use this to service a circuit box in a detached garage 500 feet away from house. What wire should I use?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 7 years ago.
I don'tunderstand, this IS a "wire" What do you need to know?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I need to know what kind of wire I should use from the house to the detached garage where I have already istalled a 100 amp service box. The wire needs to be a direct burial wire. The wire that I mentioned was used to back feed the circuit box of the original house after the service wire was relocated. Know I want to use this wire to feed 100 amp service to the detached garage with a diconnect at the spot where it was cut because the original house has been demolished.
Expert:  Sir Sparks replied 7 years ago.
Hi, If you were to continue your run with the same sized wire for the full 500 feet it would only be good for 45 amps to stay within the recommended 3% voltage drop. Also if this garage service is a sub-panel to a main panel then the wire will need to be four conductor. Working out sizes for a run with different sized wires is difficult but with the existing wire being used I doubt you could obtain 100 amps.
Sir Sparks and other Electrical Specialists are ready to help you