Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

If I take a 12v electric fence energizer, hook it up to my

Customer Question
car, (12v batt for power)...
If I take a 12v electric fence energizer, hook it up to my car, (12v batt for power), hook up one end of the energizer to the car's chassis, and the other end of the energizer to a piece of metal that is setting on the ground,
1) shouldnt it act the same as if it were hooked up on a fence, and shock the person if they touched my car....
2) what are the chances of it messing up any electronics of the car?
3) could / should I just get a diode.. would that prevent any shockings to the cars electronics?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
8/26/2009
Electrician: electrifier, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Bob - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

If you have a good ground you could shock people with this setup.
What if someone with a pacemaker or a defibulator touches your car by accident and then dies?
It is possible it could fry all the electronics in your car. Using diodes might not work well as there are so many places things are grounded on the car. Everyplace would need a diode to keep the high voltage out of the car electronics.
how do you propose to turn this on and off without getting knocked on your behind?

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, please don't hesitate to ask
  • 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
turning it on and off would be by remote. A 'GOOD' ground would be one of my concerns, b/c all I would like to do is have a lowering 'rope' that i would have to do manually from the console of the car. It would just be a heavy weight thats sitting on the ground..... so im not sure if it would be good enough Good point about the pacemaker... I thought If i put the diode just on of the the energizer ends, (not ev electronic piece of the car) that maybe that would do it. of course, i am asking cuz i could be wrong.. OR if I use a seperate 12v car battery, the grounds would be the same, but the path would not since the positive would be going to another source...? that may redirect the shock of electronics?

A vehicle is negative ground. The fencer is more than likely the same. If the negative of the fencer is the ground for the high voltage circuit the system won't work because when you connect the high voltage to the frame, you complete the circuit. This may not work at all because of this. It would take a seperate battery not connected to anything else to isolate the system from the car frame.
There is a vast amount of room for error in this idea. It can be made to work but you may have to go thru and correct issues as they come to light.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician
The circuit wouldnt be complete b/c the one side of the fencer would be on the phyical ground and the other would be 'grounded' to chassis. but i do at least appreciate ur help

If the negative terminal of the fencer DC supply is connected to the "ground" inside the fencer there would be a problem but if that was the case you could always change polarity of the high voltage side, the high volts to the earth and the ground side to the frame.
I looked at the link to the unit you have in mind and it produces 1200 volts at about 10 ma which is more than the amount that a GFCI protects personal for. Just remember the issue with people with electronics connected to their hearts as well as people with weak hearts. You don't want an accidental death on your hands. Be careful.

Thank you for coming to Just Answer.

• 100% customer satisfaction is my goal
electrifier
electrifier
electrifier, Master Electrician