Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Our ceiling fan lights suddenly stopped working - its not

Customer Question
Our ceiling fan lights suddenly...
Our ceiling fan lights suddenly stopped working - it's not the bulbs. The fan works, so we know the power isn't an issue. What can we do?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
2/15/2009
Electrician: larryyb, Handyman replied 8 years ago
larryyb
larryyb, Handyman
eather the wiring inside the head that suppys power to the switch has came apart from all the movement or you light switch has gone out / larry
larryyb
larryyb, Handyman
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 8 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Can you give me some background on this problem?

1. How are the lights controlled? switches, pull chains or remote?
  2. What have you done thus far to trouble shoot this problem?
  3. Are the lights controlled from more then one location
  4. Do you have access to a volt meter?

Once you give me this information - we can move forward in trouble shooting and fixing this.

• If you need further clarification on anything I posted, Please dont hesitate to ask!
  • 100% Customer Satisfaction is my Goal!!

graphic
if any more help is needed eather myself or joseph will glad to help / larry
  1. How are the lights controlled? switches, pull chains or remote? Pull chain
  2. What have you done thus far to trouble shoot this problem? Checked bulbs
  3. Are the lights controlled from more then one location Only 1 location
  4. Do you have access to a volt meter? No

Thanks for whatever help you can give me!

Let me just clear something up. Do you have a wall switch on this at all? Or is the fixture controlled soley by the pull chains with no switch?

graphic
There is a wall switch and a chain on the light fixture. We've tried both - I know the wall switch is working because I can get the fan to operate (they're on the same switch).
i will turn this over to my friend joseph ,,, he is into electrical more than myself but if any problems with your appliances just feel free to contact me / larry

Do you have access to the fan? There are a few things I will need you to check.

graphic

yes - what do you need me to check?

First thing is this: Open up the housing where the unit meets the ceiling ( this is where the main wiring is housed) and double check that both your black and blue wires from the fan are indeed still connected to the black wire coming from the switch. Make sure the wiring is nice and tight. It is possible that the wires did come loose.

Now if that does not fix the prolem - let me know and ill have you move onto step 2.

graphic

Thanks - will have to wait till later this evening to check - on my way out the door - but will do - thanks so much!

No problem - let me know what you find so we can get this up and running for you.

graphic
larryyb
larryyb
larryyb, Handyman