Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Experience:  over 30 years as a technician former journeyman electrician
281739

I have a circuit that keeps losing power. The breaker doesnt

Customer Question

I have a circuit that keeps losing power. The breaker doesn't trip. The power comes on after a while, or sometimes after pulling all the plugs.... sometimes not. I replaced an outlet and a switch/outlet combo that I thought were the problems. Same problem after. I researched about this problem and people were saying that a GFI switch may cause it. I don't have any outlets or power strips with a GFI on them. I tested the outlets on the circuit today when I noticed the clock on the stove dim. The outlets only registered 46 volts. I replaced the breaker today and thought I solved it. The power went out after about 4 hours. Is there a problem at my breaker box? What should I look for? I have pics of the breaker box if needed. Thanks.
Category: Electrical
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on graphic
You are corresponding with Glenn - Your personal online "Electrical Consultant"

Hello

your oven clock ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes. the oven clock is how I have realized the power is out. The circuit includes 5 wall outlets and the switch to the fan above the stove. The outlets run my fridge, gas stove (clock, electric burner start), washer and dryer. I have had everything unplugged and have had the same problem with the circuit dropping power. They run on a 20A breaker.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Is this a gas range ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
yes, gas range. plug only runs clock, burner start.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

hello

this sounds like a bad connection someware

I would suggest doing this graphic

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a 3-prong tester that I used for all the outlets when the power is on. It reads correct for the grounded outlets, however, some outlets are not grounded. I've been in the house 4 years without problems until this year. There have been no changes to the circuit until I started having the problems.
If I test the hot to ground as in your picture, what am I looking for?
A voltage detector senses no voltage around any outlets when the circuit dies. Wouldn't this still detect a hot wire if it were a bad connection?
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

Yes it would are you willing to go to home depot or lowes and buy a digital meter for 20 bucks ?

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I have a multimeter already. I will check connections and let you know if there is anything funky. Thanks.
Expert:  Glenn replied 8 years ago.

ok