Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Im wiring in a 125 AMP sub panel in my shop off my load center

Customer Question
I'm wiring in a 125...
I'm wiring in a 125 AMP sub panel in my shop off my load center for my house, what size wire will I need to feed the sub panel? the run is 350' and will be buried in 2" conduit.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/15/2009
Electrician: Paul, Electrician replied 8 years ago
Paul
Paul, Electrician

Are you going to protect the wiring at 125A? Most cases subpanel are protected with a 100A breaker.

Is your shop a detached structure?

There is a 100 AMP breaker, and the building is detached 40'X60'
For a 100A sub panel you will need to run #1 aluminum quad type cable. I would advise maybe going to 1/0 cable for voltage drop. This will be 4 insulated conductors, 2 hots, 1 neutral and 1 ground. In the shop panel you will need to split the ground and neutral bars. The neutral in a sub panel must be insulated from the grounds so ask for a ground kit when you buy the panel. The panel must also contain a main breaker. Lastly you will have to install two 8' ground rods a minimum of 6' apart. Connect these rods with #6 copper back to your ground bar in the sub panel. If you need any clarifications please let me know.
Paul
Paul, Electrician

thank you

Geo.

Paul
Paul
Paul, Electrician