Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have a GE Motor MOD. 5KCP49WN9070 230v 6BHP in my hot tub

Customer Question
I have a GE Motor...
I have a GE Motor MOD. 5KCP49WN9070   230v 6BHP in my hot tub . It is a 2 speed motor and in low speed it will turn on for about 10 sec. then shut off but voltage is still going to the motor. It will do this every time I call for low speed. High speed is fine. The heating circuit uses low pump speed to circulate the water through the heat exchanger. I have taken apart and repaired one speed motors, I'm wondering what could be wrong with this motor so I can repair it.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
1/11/2009
Electrician: Paul, Electrician replied 9 years ago
Paul
Paul, Electrician
Sound like it might be tripping out on the thermal protector. It will usually take 5-10 minutes to reset. This is usually internal to these motors. Causes of this could be a bad thermal unit, though this is not likely from your description. Or the bearings could be worn. The easiest way to check is to use an amp probe on the motor and see what it is drawing for current in both speeds.
The motor is working fine in high and 10 sec in low and when it shuts off you can turn it right back on again & again it just won't stay on. Thats why I didn't think it was the thermal overload because you don't have to wait 5 to 10 min.But if it is the thermal overload can that be replaced?

Thermals can be replaced. The location on the motor depends on the manufacturer.

If you can turn it right back on then I would be more suspicious of the power circuit. Have you check both wires to make sure you have 240v?

It's a GE motor
I'm sorry I don't know the exact location of the thermals on this particular motor. They are a 2 or 3 wire device. Located in side the motor, usally near the windings. But as I stated above, I would be more suspicious of a wiring issue after you told me it starts right back up. Where you able to get any voltage readings?
Not tonight, it's 15 degrees outside where the hot tub is and it's 1:15 in the morning I'll get V's & A's tomorrow.
Oh you must be my neighborhood..MA except it is snowing here. No problem just leave the question open and we can pick up tomorrow. Good night.
Paul
Paul
Paul, Electrician