Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I would like a diagram on how to wire a NID, including the

Customer Question
part that Bell should do....
I would like a diagram on how to wire a NID, including the part that Bell should do.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/24/2008
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
With an NID you will have utility access and customer access. The only part you will concern yourself with is the customer access side. The utility will run their own wire to the unit.

Now on the customer access side you will have 2 sets of wires, red, green, black and yellow. If your wiring one phone line, you will utilize the red and green wires.

Hi. The Bell tech. has given me a NID but I have to hook it up. (Long story) My house was built in the 40's so I had some old bakelite type of device with brass fuses. I got hit by lightning and it blew some of the fuses. Now I would like to install the NID and upgrade to Cat5e. Also I have a renter and she has her own line. So there are two lines with two wires each coming in.

I have a pretty good understanding but no idea about the NID.

Allot of the NID's are different from carrier to carrier. Can you take a good close up picture of your NID with the access doors open and post it here? If you cant figure out how to post it - you can use tinypic.com or photobucket.com

Then I will need to know what type of service drop wire you have. Is it one drop with 4 wires? or is it two separate drops with 2 wires. And I will need to know the color of the wires in the utility line.

I will try and get a picture of the NID.

It is two drops with two wires and they are all black.

Does your NID look like this:
graphic

No. I have a picture but I don't know how to post it here.

Ok - go to tinypic.com upload it there and then paste the link to the pic here.

Did you get the image or do I have to put your email address into the last bar?

When you upload the picture you will see links to the side of the picture, you need to copy the one that says img - copy the link and paste it here in the posting page.

Does this work?

Ok this NID is only setup for 1 phone line. Secondly they did not give you all the parts you needed. Your missing terminal blocks to tie the customer access wiring, and your missing a second set of terminals on the utility access side for the second phone line.

You will need to give this back to them and get them to give you the right one.

I figured that it was only set up for one line. Is there a NID for two lines?

The customer access looks OK to me (but what do I know). What I can't figure is when you put the wires in you have to flip up or flip down the switches. Do you know?

every nid is different, but from looking at yours - you just flip down the compression lids. Now what you should do is take this one back to the utility and get them to give you a 2 line NID. That is what you need.

OK, thanks, I'll try and do that.

Could you still give me some kind of a diagram for wiring this up?

I can but it wont be accurate. I will need the picture of the unit you will be installing. Once you get it, post it here and ill take your picture and show you where each wire goes.

I have no idea when that will be.

Can you do it with this unit? (I don't have to put my renter's line into the NID, I'll just leave it.)

well for temporary sake - you can take the pair your using for the phone and splice it directly to the utility line. That would be the best way to do it until you get the correct NID.

I really cant tell you how to wire this up when the new unit will be completely different from this one.

That is what I am doing now.

I would like to use this NID and may not change it. I mean I will try and change it but Bell is not too helpful at all with this kind of thing.

Ok - here is your diagram. You will see on the utility cable - I used orange in place of the black wires.... it makes it easier to see. For the customer side - you said you used cat5 - and the orange pair is used for the first phone line.

Pictoral Illustration:
graphic

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX I fell asleep last night.

So I only have to use the orange and orange/white? What about the other colors from the Cat5e going into the house? What are the other connections used for in the NID?

And one final thing, how do I wire the Cat5e phone jacks?

Thanks again,

For the utility line - it wont matter. Then at the NID you will use the blue / blue white pair. The blue/white wire will go to the (T) input and the blue wire will go to the (R) Terminal. (T) stands for tip and (R) stands for ring.

At the jack you will terminate the blue wire to the red wire in the jack, and then terminate the blue/white wire to the green wire in the jack.

Then make sure you run a #10 grounding wire from the green terminal in the NID to the grounding electrode of your main service panel. If you do not have this grounded, stray voltage from lightening strikes can "hit" your building.

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is what got me into this project, in the first place!

So I only need to use two wires of the Cat5e? What is the point of all of those wires?

If you were going to install different phone lines - realistically for what your doing - you only needed to use the standard 2 pair phone line. What you ran for your installation is overkill.

Although you now have the advantage that if the blue pair went bad, you could re-wire the jack to a different color without having to run a new cable.

Thanks. Now for the last couple of months I have noise on my line, sometimes bad sometimes OK. What could possibly be causing that? I have called Bell twice and they 'checked' the line outside and said it was OK.

Noise on the line is cause by:

Faulty internal wiring
Bad jack
Bad NID

Any one of those can cause noise on the line.

OK, thank you.

Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician