Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I am going to rewire an old(circa 1940) desk fan. In the base

Customer Question
there is a capasator, transformer,and...
I am going to rewire an old(circa 1940) desk fan. In the base there is a capasator, transformer,and a switch. 3 wires go up to the fan motor. There are 3 wires going into the motor,one that appears to be brown, the other 2 appear black.. the wiring is really destroyed and is there a wiring diagram showing the correct connections . Also is there a schmatic available.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/22/2008
Electrician: Accuratejoe, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Accuratejoe
Accuratejoe, Master Electrician
Good morning diva
If it is that old, I would take by motor shop and have them put a megometer across the motor to check for voltage leakage. With a fan that old it becomes a fire hazard if insulation on the wire is going bad.
A megger test will confirm if is bad or good and then you can or can not repair.
You shouldn't be charged more than 20 dollors for the test.
Most should do it for about nothing.
If your happy with my anwser please hit accept.
If not post back and i will try to assist further.
Bonus are great, but feed back just takes a second
Accurate Joe
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX is not what I asked for. I am looking for a drawing showing the correct connections both in the base as well as the motor, Thank you Divad
I will let another expert help you with your question
Good Luck
Accuate Joe
Thank you,,do I need to ask the question again? Divad
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
With a fan that old we are not going to have a wiring schematic. Is there a way you can take a picture of the schematic you have? or scan it in and post it here?
I can send pics of the bottom and the top unit,, will that help.? I dont have a wire drawning or a schematic. Thank you,,Divad
unfortunately without a diagram - we are helpless because the setup could be very different from what the norm is today.

Your best bet is to take it to a local lamp repair shop. They will be able to fix this without a problem.
Sorry,I had NO answer from the experts ,however my account was charged 9 dollars.Please refund the charges. Thank you XXXXX XXXXX
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician