Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

How do I wire a 110 float switch to a 220 pump Its a 220

How do I wire a...
How do I wire a 110 float switch to a 220 pump? Its a 220 v 1/2 hp Franklin motor on the pump. I have a 400 ft run on #14 wire to the float switch. Is it OK to run 1 leg of the 220 800' like that?
10/9/2008
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
All you do is wire the float switch into one of the 220v legs. So pick one and wire the line 220v to one side of the float switch, then the other side of the float goes to the pump.
Is it OK to run 1 leg of the 220 800' feet through #12 wire? I think it would be better if you can recommend a contactor or relay that could go between the float switch and the leg of the 220v line to the pump. Can you recommend a specific relay or contactor. I was always told to keep the load on the 2 legs of a 220 equal. What can happen if one leg looses all that juice by going back and forth to the float switch.
Plus to go that distance I would need # XXXXX wire...which is very pricy.
What is the amperage of the motor itself.. Full load amps..
5 amps
Flotec 3-Wire Submersible 4in. Deep Well Pump — 1/2 HP, 1 1/4in., Model# XXXXX

Economical, energy-efficient pumps for 4in. inside diameter or larger wells. Pump from depths of 400ft. Patented Floating Stack design resists sand and reduces sand locking. Stainless steel pump and motor housing for long life. Heavy-duty 1 1/4in. NPT discharge connection. Water-filled submersible motor. Precision-molded impellers and diffusers. 230 Volts. Includes built-in check valve. UL approved. 3-year limited warranty. U.S.A.

Be the first to write a review.

Item#(NNN) NNN-NNNN

Flow (GPH)     600
Volts     230
Amps     5
HP     1/2
Max. Total Head (ft.)     150
Suction Port (in.)     1 1/4
Discharge Port (in.)     1 1/4
Impellers     Precision-Molded
Diffusers     Precision-Molded
Control Box Included     Yes

Glenn
Glenn, Electrical Technician
Helllo
I see joe is off line

At 5 amps the #14 wire shoud be fine for the 400 feet
HI Glenn:

It turns out its 543 feet from the pump-house to the tank. Will that be ok for the one leg of the 220v line to the float & back to the pump on #14 wire?

ARE YOU CERTAIN THAT THIS SET UP WILL NOT DAMAGE THE 1/2 hp 5amp pump or controls?

Thanks, Bruce
Here is what you need to do. Go to your local supply house. Get a 20amp rated 220v general purpose contactor with a 120v coil on it. Then put that in the circuit at the pump. If you need a wiring diagram of how to set this up - let me know and Ill be more then happy to make one up for you.
Please send a wiring diagram... Also I am looking at Granger & I am not sure what I need. Could you send a Square D or Granger part # XXXXX the contactor.
Thanks

Bruce
Ok - what ill do is make it up and post it here later tonight. I will also include a part number for the contactor.
Great!
Ok - here is the link to Graingers website so you can order your contactor. The link im providing is the specific part with part number etc. Below you will find your diagram. If you have any questions - just let me know.

Click here for the contactor:

graphic
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Great Job! Enclosed is an extra$20. Thanks!
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician