Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

My bathroom fan will not shut off when I flip the switch. It

Customer Question
My bathroom fan will not...
My bathroom fan will not shut off when I flip the switch. It will shut off with I flip the circuit breaker. I tried disconnecting the switch all together, but it still came on when the circuit breaker was flipped on. Does this mean I need to change the switch on the wall?   It worked fine a week or so ago. Now it just runs and runs.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
10/3/2008
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Your saying that the fan keeps running even when the breaker is shut off? Are you sure you have the right breaker? Also - have you disconnected the switch?
The fan does not run when the breaker is off. When the breaker was off and the fan was off, I disconnected the flip switch on the wall. I turned the breaker on and the fan came back on - even with the switch disconnected.
Ok - dumb question but do you have the right switch?
The problem is not your switch. Sound like somehow the electricicty is backfeeding into the fan by way of a broken wire. You are going to have to inspect the wiring in the fan and look for any broken or loose wiring. Same for the switch.
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician