Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have ceiling cable heat and i am trying to replace the thremoatats.

Customer Question
The present model is a...
I have ceiling cable heat and i am trying to replace the thremoatats. The present model is a Singer 7165B two pole thermostat. My house was built in 1979. The wires are as follows two red connected to 3 & 4 on the load side and a black on the #2 and a white on the #1 line side. The new thermostat is a Honeywell LineVolt Pro 8000 programmable. The wiring diagram shows a red and black wire on the load and ared and black on the line. What is the proper way to connect this thermostate?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
9/27/2008
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Ok - what color wires are coming into the box and going out - are they both black and white wires?
The two red wires are coming in from the top of the box and the black and white wires are coming in from the bottom and are spliced together with another black to black and white to white with a copper clamp and a wire nut on each.
Ok - let me ask you this, do you have 4 vacant wires that are not attached to anything now that you removed the old thermostat? If so - what colors are they?
The wires are still connected to the old singer thermostat and if you are looking at it from the back at the top you have the red wires connected to each pole and on the metal plate there is written load and #3 and #4 with a green ground screw. At the bottom the black wire is attached to #2 and the white is connected to #1 and this is on the line The number 1 and 3 are stamped on the left side and 2 & 4 are on the right side with load stamped on the top and line stamped on the bottom. The Honeywell Thermostat has a red and black wire on the load and a red and black wire line.
Ok - dont pay attention to the colors of the wires. Just mark which wires are line, and which ones are load - Then just connect them back onto the new thermostat to the line and load wiring.
Ok, so i clearley unstand what you are telling me to do is as follows, the two red wires comming from the wall are the load wires and should be connected to the load wires on the new thermostat, and the black and white wires are to be connected to the line side of the new therostat. I assume that the black should go on black and the red should go on the white on the load side?
Yes - if that is how they were connected to the old thermostat, then that is how they will connect to the new one. Just remember to keep your wires marked line and load before disconnecting from the old one. Then you will not have any problems reconnecting them to the new one marked line and load.
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Thank you
Not a problem - if you need any further assistance on this, please be sure to let me know. Good Luck!!!
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician