Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have no power to a bedroom and bathroom but the rest of ...

Customer Question
I have no power to...
I have no power to a bedroom and bathroom but the rest of the house is okay. I reset all breakers. All breakers are in the on position but still no power to those mentioned rooms. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/3/2008
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 9 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
HiCustomer Do you have access to a volt meter? It would be very helpful in locating the source of the problem.
No.
Strange happenings - power just came back on the rooms mentioned.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal On-Line "Electrical Consultant"

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Okay. I will start with the most likely cause. If your outlets are wired using the small holes on the back where the wires push in instead of being wrapped around the side screws, you will need to redo the connections. The first thing you need to do is figure out which breaker feeds the affected area. Turn on surrounding lights and plug lamps into surrounding outlets. Make note of which lights and outlets go off when you find the correct breaker. You will need to turn the breaker off and on as necessary to troubleshoot this problem.

Once you find a working outlet near non-working outlets, and determine they are on the same circuit, you are well on your way to getting the problem repaired. Turn the breaker back off, and pull the working outlet out of the wall, as well as the nearest nonworking outlet. Cut the wires off right at the outlet if you find they are pushed into the holes on the back of the outlets. Restrip the wires and curl them around the side screws on the outlets. It's best to disconnect/reconnect one wire at a time so you don't accidentally reconnect a wire in the wrong place on an outlet.

If your outlets are already wired using the side screws, this means you have a loose connection somewhere along the circuit, or a bad breaker. Since you don't have a volt meter, you can start at the panel to eliminate a possible breaker problem. Turn off the breaker for the affected circuit, set it aside, and replace it with a different breaker from the panel. Make sure you use a breaker with the same amp rating. If the replacement breaker works, you will need to make a trip to your local home center to buy a breaker. A bad breaker isn't as likely as a loose connection, but it's a definite possibility.

The only other causes of this problem are a loose connection or a broken wire. A broken wire in the middle of a length of wire is unlikely. If you find the outlets wired the way they should be, and the replacement breaker doesn't solve the problem, you will need to start opening boxes along the affected circuit and checking for loose connections. These boxes include all outlet boxes, switch boxes, and boxes where light fixtures are located. Loose connections can also often be found in the electrical panel. Check all connections in the panel for tightness, and look for broken wires where they connect to the screws in the panel. Be very careful working in the panel, it's dangerous, as I'm sure you are aware. If you are uncomfortable, please call an electrician. Keep in mind that the rate for a Sunday call will be significantly higher than a call on a Monday.

If you find wire nuts or crimped and taped splices in the boxes you open, tug each wire in the splices to make sure none will pull out. Also, junction boxes are not limited to outlets, switches, and lights, they can be located in attics and basements as well.

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great night!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Jason (jbekah)

Don't forget to put "Question forJason (jbekah)" in the Subject line!!!

Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician