Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

Can I connect 4 prong 220V 30 amp to a 3 prong 220V 30 amp

Customer Question
I have a shed disconnected...
I have a shed disconnected from main power, no power at all, but is wired. I want to use my portable generator to light it up when out there using tools. I want to go into the 220 volt 3 prong wired outlet from the 4 prong 220 genset, it is possible and safe.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
7/28/2008
Electrician: Jason, Service Technician replied 9 years ago
Jason
Jason, Service Technician
HiCustomer Let me make sure I understand you. Do you have a 3 prong outlet in the shed now? If so, where do the wires connected to it go, or come from? In other words, where is the other end of the wires connected to the 3 prong outlet?
red and black to breaker 30 amp
white neutral

Okay, good information. Do you have a small subpanel in the shed with no main wires coming from the house to feed it?

Correct, the power to the shed is dissconnected completely, I use it because it has a roof and concrete floor for projects. It has lights, 4 outlets, no gfi's and the old 220 3 prong outlet.

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Jason - Your personal On-Line "Electrical Consultant"

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Okay. Thanks for your patience with my questions. The information you have given me is very helpful. What I would recommend in your case is to connect the cord that will plug into the generator to the mains in the shed panel. I would also recommend driving 2 ground rods outside the shed and connecting a grounding electrode conductor to the 2 rods and the ground/neutral bar in the shed panel. I would replace any standard outlets in the shed with GFI outlets. Since the generator will be considered a service and not a subpanel, you will connect ground wires and neutral wires to the same bar, instead of seperate bars like you would if the shed panel was fed by the main panel in the house. If any of this is unclear, please let me know. Also, if you need a diagram showing how to connect the system, let me know and I would be happy to post one for you.

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Have a great night!

Please press the "Accept" button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Don't forget to leave feedback - bonuses are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Jason (jbekah)

Don't forget to put "Question forJason (jbekah)" in the Subject line!!!

Reply to Jason's Post: I understand but would like a diagram, why connect ground and neutral to same bar? Just curious.

The reason the ground and neutral will connect to the same bar is because the generator is considered a service (or main panel) and the shed panel is your access to the branch circuits of that service. If the shed panel were fed from the house, it would be considered a subpanel, not a service. The grounding/bonding requirements for subpanels are different than they are for main panels. I am working on your diagram now, and I will get it posted as soon as it's done.

Jason
Jason, Service Technician
Okay, here's your diagram. Sorry it's a little messy, I was trying to draw it quickly since you were waiting. Thank you for accepting my answer. Let me know if you need anything else. Best of luck to you with your wiring project.
Jason
Jason
Jason, Service Technician