Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Experience:  Electrical Contractor
5968364

I have a failed outlet that sparked and burned out after ...

I have a failed outlet that sparked and burned out after pluging in a Microwave that has always been there-replaced outlet and the same event occured. Is the problem with another out on the same circuit?

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer!!!

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Test text

It sounds as though it may be the microwave causing the problem. Have you tried plugging in anything else besides the microwave? If so what were the results?

Test text

Hope this helps you out. If you should need anything further please don't hesitate to ask. Good Luck!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Customer----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put Question forCustomer/u> in the Subject line!!!

Customer: replied 9 years ago.
The microwave was there at first and removed after the plug burned out.. The 2nd occurrences (after replacing the plug) there was nothing plugged into the outlet it burned out again.

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Test text

That to me sounds like at first the microwave burned up the outlet, but now – it sounds like you may have some wiring in the outlet box that was affected as well which is what is currently causing your problems.

What you need to do is open up that outlet box and inspect the wiring for any damage, either missing or melted insulation – burnt marks from a dead short etc. When you find this, you will need to remove the damaged wire and replace it with new wire. This just means cutting back the wire burnt and wire nutting new pieces of wire onto it in the box.

Test text

Have another electrical question?