Electrical

Electrical Questions? Ask an Electrician Online.

Electrical

I have an electric grill that keeps blowing my GFCI in the ...

Customer Question
I have an electric grill...
I have an electric grill that keeps blowing my GFCI in the bathroom. I have unplugged everything I think is on that circuit, but it still blows. This started just recently and I am unsure what I need to do. Do I have wiring problems, do I need to call an electrician? Thanks for any help you can give me.
Submitted: 9 years ago.Category: Electrical
6/19/2008
Electrician: Inactive, Master Electrician replied 9 years ago
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician

Thank you for asking your question on Just Answer !!

My name is XXXXX XXXXX your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

Ok when you say you unplugged everything – does that mean the gfci is still tripping with nothing actually plugged into it?

Have another electrical question?

Bookmark my profile page by adding me to your favorites.

Click Here: Contact Electric Doctor ----- A Just Answer Verified Electrical Expert!!!

Don’t forget to put “Question for Electric Doctor” in the Subject line!!!

Yes, I unplugged my cordless phone, hair dryer, electric toothbrush. I can push the reset button in and it will stay on for maybe 1-2 minutes. Tough to get a steak grilled!

You are corresponding with Joseph - Your personal On-Line “Electrical Consultant”

*****Click here to view my profile*****

There is a good chance that the gfci has gone bad and will need to be replaced. But before going that route, you will need to check a few things first. Now this gfci in all likelihood protects other outlets. You will need to locate these outlets and be sure nothing else is plugged into them as well. Then try the reset button again. If the same symptoms persist – then you most likely have a ground and a neutral wire touching. What will need to happen is that all of your outlets starting from the gfci down – will need to be opened up and checked for this. The outlets I refer to are the ones on the load side of the gfci. Once you find the problem area, all you will need to do is isolate those wires from each other and it will be fine.

Now if this gfci is by itself and not protecting any other outlets, then you will need to replace it.

Additional Information:

Hope this helps you out, if you should need anything further - please don't hesitate to ask.

Please press the “Accept” button if my answer has helped. This is the only way I get paid for providing my services. Please don’t forget to leave “Feedback” – “Bonuses” are also welcome and appreciated!!!

100% customer satisfaction is my goal!!!

Have another electrical question?

Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician
Inactive
Inactive
Inactive, Master Electrician